Explain two differences between normal variations of body image and a diagnosable eating disorder. Explain three key
Assignment: Eating Disorders
Eating disorders can plague both males and females, and they generally have different unattainable physical appearance-related goals. Males may feel the need to develop large muscles and are more vulnerable to taking drugs or embarking on exercise regimens that move them in that direction. For males who are obese or disinterested in athletics, there may be considerable social pressure and harassment to increase their muscle mass or overall strength. Females tend to gain weight and body fat during puberty. This tendency is in direct opposition to the “skinny” images they are exposed to through the media. As a consequence, girls are more likely to diet and exercise in ways that emphasize thinness and weight loss instead of fitness. These actions can result in eating disorders. Anorexia nervosa, the act of starving oneself, and bulimia nervosa, the act of binging and purging, are chronic conditions among many children and adolescents.
For this Assignment, consider the differences between normal variations in body image and what constitutes an eating disorder. In addition, consider what types of interventions are most effective with children and adolescents with eating disorders.
The Assignment (2–3 pages):
- Explain twodifferences between normal variations of body image and a diagnosable eating disorder.
- Explain threekey elements that you would include in an intervention for the prevention of eating disorders.
- Explain which of the three key elements would be developmentally appropriate for children and developmentally appropriate for adolescents, and explain why.
- Explain which of the three key elements might apply best to males and which of the three key elements might apply best to females, and explain why. Be specific.
- Justify your response using the week’s resources and the current literature.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the week’s resources for this course
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.